Our First Line of Defence: Our Innate Immunity.
How can you support yours?
As boarders open up and the population starts to mingle and socialise again, it’s good to keep in mind what supports your body’s innate immune system.
Our innate immune system is our first defence response against all antigens, like bacteria’s and viruses. It involves all the barriers like the skin, mucus membranes (found in eyelids, nose, throat, mouth, gastrointestinal track, lungs, vagina.) The areas of the body exposed to the outside environment.
Strategies to put into place:
- Reduce stress– Reframe what’s really important in your life. Keeping life simple goes a long way to helping reduce stress .
- Adequate Sleep– 8 hours /day, and at least 4 of these hours had before midnight will allow your body vital rejuvenation and repair of tissues and chemicals.
- Diet high in Antioxidants rich foods– All the colours of the rainbow in your fruits and vegetables included at each meal will be a great start to implementing this.
- Avoid Sugars– Avoid this trap of over indulging in sugar and alcohol at this time of year, which is so easy to do but worth the effort.
- Exercise- Keep moving. Walking ,bike riding, swimming, playing with your kids in the backyard, anything in nature and some sunshine will do wonders for your health.
- State of Mind– If you’re noticing the doom and gloom setting in, change your state, do the things that bring joy and if this isn’t helping, do something that brings joy for someone else. The gift of giving.
- Stay socialising and connecting with those you love and your community. This brings balance and harmony to you on a physical, emotional and chemical level creating a body that is strong and vital in its defence.